Friday, April 27, 2012

MINING GOLD IN CAREGIVING


Latest posting for the Health Activist Writing Month Challenge WEGO http://blog.wegohealth.com

Prompt #26: 5 Challenges & 5 Small Victories. Make a list of the 5 most difficult parts of your health focus. Make another top 5 list for the little, good things (small victories) that keep you going. 


These were a few of the gifts from my decade of caregiving for my challenging mother:

Challenges
  • Simply being with my mother
  • Abandoning my own life
  • Incompetent doctors
  • Middle sister disappearing
  • Training my husband not to take over


Victories (not so small)
  • Training my husband to partner
  • Learning to do real self-care
  • Learning to have a voice with my mother
  • Taking one day at a time
  • Forming a bond with my eldest sister


These also were the impetus for writing "The Caregiver's Compass" and my other two books where I show how I milked the experience to help me stay balanced and growing.

No comments: