Latest posting for the Health Activist Writing Month Challenge WEGO http://blog.wegohealth.com
Prompt #26: 5 Challenges & 5 Small Victories. Make a list of the 5 most difficult parts of your health focus. Make another top 5 list for the little, good things (small victories) that keep you going.
These were a few of the gifts from my decade of caregiving for my challenging mother:
- Simply being with my mother
- Abandoning my own life
- Incompetent doctors
- Middle sister disappearing
- Training my husband not to take over
Victories (not so small)
- Training my husband to partner
- Learning to do real self-care
- Learning to have a voice with my mother
- Taking one day at a time
- Forming a bond with my eldest sister
These also were the impetus for writing "The Caregiver's Compass" and my other two books where I show how I milked the experience to help me stay balanced and growing.